Friday, January 6, 2012

The Effect of Fear

  • "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear."
    - Alan Paton, Cry, The Beloved Country, Ch. 12
I really enjoy this quote from the book. I feel that it captures the story in one sentence. Fear is a large part of this book. Fear is what caused Absolom to kill the white man. Fear is what made Gertrude turn to prostitution and selling alcohol for a living. Fear is what causes both sides to hate each other.
  • "I have one great fear in my heart, that one day when they are turned to loving, they will find that we are turned to hating."
    - Alan Paton, Cry, The Beloved Country, Ch. 7
    • This quote was said by Reverend Msimangu, warning Stephen that hate has to be overcome on both sides or nothing will change. A very good example of someone overcoming hate in the novel was James Jarvis. His son was killed by a group of blacks, increasing his already strong racism. Through his son's writings a great change occurred with James. If everyone came to realize the actual effects of fear and the damage it can cause, racism would be cured.
The problem of fear and the results should be resolved or the next generation will have to deal with the same problems. The country of South Africa has so much potential, but the Effect of Fear held the country back. The story of a man named Nelson Mandela shows how the country of South Africa was freed from the grasp of fear at a time after the novel.


Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.


William Ernest Henley

I really like this poem and the movie with the same title. It seemed like a perfect fit for this unit we are doing. Obviously they both pertain to South Africa as a country, and the effect of fear is very strong in both Invictus and in Cry, the Beloved Country. The poem talks about fighting through fear and pain and realizing that God made everyone equal. It helps give me strength to stand up for myself and I know that it gave strength to many others. The movie named after this poem shows the struggle of Nelson Mandela to unite his county in spite of the fear towards the different races. I love how Nelson Mandela was able to come out of jail ready to forgive those who put him in. This gives hope that we can all fight through the effects of fear.
This story took place after the novel, so I think that it shows the results of the battle against fear. I think the people listened when Msimangu gave his warning about turning to hating the whites. Nelson Mandela strongly supported this belief when he came out of jail ready to forgive the whites who put him in. Because of the patience and love shown by men like Nelson Mandela, fear was able to be overcome, even through the harsh effects that it has. I like this quote because it asks a good question. I love that through the viewing of new media, in this case the movie Invictus, we can learn the answer.

  • "But when the dawn will come, of our emancipation, from the fear of bondage and the bondage of fear, why, that is a secret."
    - Alan Paton, Cry, The Beloved Country, Ch. 35

No comments:

Post a Comment